Originally known as the Fairfield County Courthouse, the building was constructed in 1888 and is on both the state and national registers of historic places.
The firm of Martin A. Benassi, AIA - Architect, LLC provided a comprehensive evaluation study of the building's physical condition in the late 1990s. The study included an in-depth evaluation of the architectural, code, mechanical, electrical, and structural elements. Cost estimates were provided for budgeting purposes.
Our physical knowledge of the building's structure, roof, and masonry (along with an understanding of the occupancy needs) helped to secure the restoration project in 2007. After researching and documenting the historic significance of the structure, various materials including mortar and brick samples were tested for compliance and composition.
Complete contract documents were prepared for the building restoration, including work to various types of masonry such as terra cotta, brownstone, brick, and granite. Roofing work included slate replacement, copper flashing, and single-ply membrane on the low slope areas.
Miscellaneous related items included recommendations for sealant, painting, improved roof access, cleaning of the masonry facade, and selective window replacement. Included in the scope was a structural engineer’s evaluation of the framing system as it related to reroofing.